Sunday, May 15, 2016

Well after a year I finally received my flow hive and just in time as we have had 2 swarms this week. I was excited but ultimately disappointed as others in the quality and how they aligned with expectations. I am an engineer, and product designer, and woodworker and a person that appreciates innovation. I will let the photos and commentary speak to my feelings and hope that it will spur improvement. Based on the response I have already received Flow is more than willing to take care of things, but I have already incurred the cost of assembly and inconvenience to get something I needed done. In any case, the process and pictures.


not a great place for a knot ^^^^



I believe it should be a rabbet , but I am looking for a rebate.





























I like to use things that were included in the kit to shim. On the roof, it should be suggested to use the strips for the frames as shims since they work perfect.

ugh gaps

I wish I could use my kreg jig here, but alas the staple is a block.
These gaps are not disturbing if the rest of the structure was assuring, but in my environment I am not hopeful. We have strong winds and I am concerned that the roof will not hold up.
more splitting damn
It occurred to me that one of the major issues is fasteners. Compare the supplied "sheetmetal" screw with a proper stainless pocket hole screw designed for soft wood. High helix, self drill and a wider head as well. I decided to switch to these for the roof especially. Another bonus is that they are not threaded at the shoulder providing more tension on the joint.







I could not really believe that the roof is only assembled with 6 screws. The construction reminds me of a doll house, not something that will sit outside with wind rain and expansion contraction tearing it apart.

more jointery issues.

span plate sitting too high.




an attempt to end chisel to recess the plate revealed that there was already a split developed.
The finished hive after all issues. You can still see the gaps.
proof I have swarms






































All in all its just problem after problem. With paying good money I expect a well manufactured product that matches the innovation of the flow frames.
With wind, winter and pests, I need things to be pretty tight. I will likely implement a roof latch as I usually put a cinder block on the roof to keep the Langstroth caps from flying off.
I thought finger joint boxes were one of the most simple to implement but looks like I was wrong. Fasteners need to be wood fasteners. Roof needs an strong interlock or more fasteners and pilot holes need better registration and through-panel poke 100%. Removable windows need more draft and guide in or remove the finger joints on that feature completely.
.
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment